Cornwall Orienteering Club Race - Idless, Truro - 11th December



With the night event fresh in my legs I should have thought more carefully before tackling the monster 8.9km 285m with 30 controls, but hey I am always up for the challenge.  Roger Hargreaves was the planner and a new formula to base his course planning on.  Anyway I won't bore you with a control by control account but I had a ding dong battle with Steve B  from control 9 onwards, often when this happens I go to pot so was happy to generally keep it together for most of the course this is how it happened.
Part 1 Controls 1 - 17

#9 got very close but talked myself out of it, relocated and Steve appeared and punched just after me.
#11 Steve just behind me on the track kept in front punched a few seconds in front.
#12 Pace too high for me let Steve past.
#16 Saw Steve coming out of 15, heading for eastern track, I came out west and tried to contour around the hill to 16
#18 Steve went further west to main track, I ran through start and took small track option and punched 5 seconds after him.
#19 Confused by numbering on the change of map I headed to 25 (8) before realising I had it wrong, lost a couple of minutes and sight of Steve. 
#21To my relief saw Steve coming out of 4 couple of minutes ahead
#22 punched the control just as Steve jumped the wall from the west and turned north, I followed going to #23, Steve got to the junction before heading back.
#23 Just tried to run but really tired.
#25 Saw Steve coming down the track to #24 as I crossing the track to# 25
#29 Nearly mis-punched luckily I checked my control descriptions, and my control was visable
#30 Could hardly run but knew it was going to be a close call as I didn’t know how long after me Steve started.
Finish Happy to finish a mentally and physically challenging course

Part 2 controls 18 - 30

No comments: