Devon and Cornwall Night League - 8th December 2012

A clear and windless night greeted us at the car park for this 3rd of 6 Devon and Cornwall Night League fixtures.  I was out to make amends for my mispunch at Lanhydrock a couple of weeks ago.  I shared a lift with Rob Parkinson who is not normally a fan of night orienteering, this being only his second event after taking part in the British Night Champs last year.  We were later getting there than normal so when I got to the start it was clear and I was able to go straight off.  I was surprised to catch someone at #1, but kept focused and was determined to run my own race.  I stayed on the path to #2, but not as long as planned so had a slight hesitation.  Back on path to #3 using the wall corner as a strong attack point.  Aimed off to #4 using gully to lead me in.  Still with the other runner who was running straighter lines than me.  Again aimed off to #6 using wall corner then path arrived just after the other runner.  I couldn't match the pace of the runner in front so he moved away to #7 but I kept on simplifying legs trying to avoid any mistakes.  #8 was all about finding the correct path in the gorse, and I managed to get this spot on.  Was surprised to see the mystery runner coming into #8 from the north as I left.  #9 north to the fence line then into the pit, slight miss as the undergrowth seemed to go on a little further than mapped, turned and straight into the control.  I got forced north to #10  due to the gorse so wasn't sure of my position on entering the wood, so headed south and bounced off the stone wall.  Mystery man passed me and at #10 I caught Barry Olds, I asked who was ahead and he said it was Will Hancock, no chance of catching him now I thought as it was mostly track running, but kept pushing.  Over the bridge to #13 and down the steep slope, clipped  the earthwall and cleanly  into the control to find Will had had a miss and was coming back to it.  Then just the matter of the run to the finish, trying to stay with Will who started drifting south.  Managed to hold Will off just punching in front.  Wow I was exhausted.  4.4km 135m in 33.34.  Route on Endomondo   .
    
 Blast from the Past

The last time I can remember running a night orienteering race here was January 2005 and I won the Jade course 3.2km 70m in 37min32.



No comments: