Small Area, SI punching and a lot of head scratching! - Mylor Bridge Street O

Off to deepest darkest Cornwall with the offer of a BBQ, Street O, and swimming in the creek at Mylor Bridge, Nr Falmouth.  Always happy for an excuse to run map in hand so off we headed.  Cornish holiday traffic meant that we arrived close to the 2pm start, so we quickly changed and headed out of Phil and Adele's beautiful house.  We were presented with a map, which had the rules of the game on (See below).  This is a format that they have used a number of times at the Cornwall OC summer series but one that I had not previously experienced.  So I was trying to get my head around it and explain it to Helen who has going out with Abbie to have a run (and hopefully an Ice Cream!).  When I turned around most runners had gone and I was getting pressure from Phil to get out there!!   

Mylor Bridge










So off I went, still trying to get my head around what the hell I should be doing.  No brainer at 191 just punch and go, ran past 192 thinking I should get some more 10 pointers first! Mistake.  At the 6 road junction I took the wrong road but quickly realised my mistake mostly because of the jeering from others!  #201, #211 this seems pointless so quickly moves on to 30 pointers.  #213, #203, #223, #233 the bonus really hot now!  Wondered where Roger H was off to then noticed #214 over the fold in my map.  Dunked my head in the estuary just off the quay at #204, was offered a hose down by a local, but declined.  20 mins in, up the hill passing #232 but not punching....... #224, #234.  Back down to #215, killer hill up to #225 really hot now.  #205, #235, #195 40 mins in (shortest stretch of the creek might come back here!) #216.  Didn't fancy going around so asked some locals on the quay at #204 how deep it was.  They said there were stepping stones across at #195.  Stepping waist deep, but much deeper when I fell off them so swam the last half.  #206 47mins gone.  Cruised back past the finish picked up #196 then back to the finish.  53min 7.8km now time for a swim..........  Abbie and Helen got their Ice Cream and won the best junior prize.

What great format, on a map that Phil prepared which did the Job perfectly. 

Thanks all, and a great party afterwards. 

The Rules of the Game
   

No comments: